What exactly does the Union stand for?
The Free Speech Union was formed:
- To defend and promote the rights of New Zealanders to freely seek, receive and impart information.
- To raise understanding among New Zealanders of the essential character of freedom of speech as:
- a fundamental human right;
- a necessity to the preservation and exercise of other freedoms;
- a necessity for the healthy functioning and preservation of our democracy against the abuses of power;
- a necessity for the vigorous testing and development of our intellectual and academic institutions and culture.
Was this helpful?
You might also like: